Savory Pumpkin Pasta
Serves 4. (I often cut this recipe in half.)
- 1 lb. pasta (penne, farfalle, rigatoni, or campanelle are my favorites for this)
- 8 slices bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1 ½ c. chicken stock
- 1 15 oz. can pure pumpkin puree
- ¼ tsp. allspice
- 1/8 tsp. dried thyme or 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- pinch dried sage
- ½ c. heavy cream
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water until al dente. Drain pasta and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from the pan and set aside.
- Add sliced onion to the bacon drippings in the pan and cook, stirring frequently, until sweet and golden-brown. Turn down the heat to low, discard excess bacon grease, and add to the pan with the onions: chicken stock, pumpkin puree, and herbs and spices. Stir until sauce is heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in heavy cream. Add pasta to the sauce, and toss to coat.
- Serve pasta topped with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and bacon pieces.